Copyright 2003 Louis R. Coatney
GAME-TURNS -- 1-12 21Jul42 German Offensive Game, 13-20 "19Nov42" Soviet Counteroffensive Game, 1-20 Stalingrad Campaign Game:
|Game-turn:||........||Weather:||....||German Reinforcements:||Russian Reinforcements:
|1. 21Jul42||Good||.||.||8. Air Army
|3. 11Aug42||Good||.||4.PzA, 11.InK, 6.RInK, 14.PzD|
22.PzD, 16.PGDiv, 295.InD
|4. 21Aug42||Good||.||3.RuA, 4.InK||66.A, 26.TK
|5. 1Sep42||Good||.||.||24.A, 16. Air Army
|6. 11Sep42||Good||.||.||13.GdsD, 39.GdsD
|11. 1Nov42||Hard Frost||.||4.RuA, 1.RuCavC||5.TA
|12. 11Nov42||Hard Frost||.||1.RuAmD||8.KK, 13.MK, 17. Air Army
|13. "19Nov42"||Snow||.||.||2. Air Army
|15. 11Dec42||Snow||.||57.PzK, 6.PzD, 11.PzD, 23.PzD||2.GMK, 3.GdA, 5.ShA
|.||17.PzD||3.GMKp, 6.MK, 7.TK
REPLACEMENTS, REINFORCEMENTS, RUSSIAN RAIL MOVEMENT, and VOLUNTARY ELIMINATION OF FRIENDLY UNITS:
Beginning with Gameturn 2., Russian armies eliminated by battle or voluntary disbandment are placed on the calendar to re-enter the game a number of turns later equal to their combat factor, on a friendly north, east, or south mapboard edge hex (but not west of a N/S mapboard edge hex occupied by an Axis unit or adjacent to any UnDispersed Axis unit. They may enter the game (already) moving by railroad. They are Dispersed upon their arrival into the game.
Additionally, one Russian tank corps may be replaced each turn (Dispersed), at the tank factory in Stalingrad North (on even-numbered turns) or on the north mapboard edge (on odd-numbered turns), as indicated on the calendar.
In addition to the Stalingrad tank factory replacement unit, one other Russian replacement unit may enter the game on each Stalingrad city hex, as long as it is in supply from a mapboard edge.
All other Russian units (and Axis units) may not be replaced.
Reinforcements arrive UnDispersed and ready to move/attack in that turn.
They may appear on or adjacent to any other friendly unit in supply or (for the Russians) on Stalingrad if it is still under friendly control and in supply from a mapboard edge hex.
Turn 3. 11Aug42 and Turn 4. 21Aug42 German reinforcement units enter on the west mapboard edge north of the lower Don River and south of the stream at the middle of the map.
"1.GMKp" means 1. Guards Mechanized Corps if promoted/converted from any tank corps.
- Russian Rail Movement:
Any UnDispersed Russian unit already on a rail line may move any number of hexes along a rail line unblocked by German units or empty hexes adjacent to UnDispersed German corps or army units. The railroading Russian units are Dispersed at their destination.
- Voluntary Elmination of Friendly Units:
During the Replacement, Reinforcement, and Rail Movement Phase, the Russian Player may voluntarily eliminate any of his units. (He might want an already-doomed infantry army or tank corps for use as a replacement.) These voluntarily eliminated units must reenter the game like the involuntarily eliminated ones, though, counting against replacements.
- Mud: German armies' movement = 2, all others' = 3. Only 1 German air unit. No Armor Overrun.
- Hard Frost: Same as Good weather
- Snow: German infantry units' movement = 2, all other German units = 3, Russians'
unchanged. Only 1 German air unit.
Rivers and lakes are frozen over and have no effect on movement or combat.
The Volga River does not freeze until turn 16., 21Dec42.
- In Good or Hard Frost weather, a supply line is 10 hexes to any unit from a rail line leading off a player's own side of the board -- west for Axis and North, East, or South for Russians, as long as the mapboard edge rail hexes are still in friendly supply. A supply line can also be traced for 4 hexes from any mapboard edge hex under friendly control. For the Russians, Stalingrad is also a supply source for units on it as is the Volga River (except where it is blocked by adjacent Axis units on both sides of it.
In Mud or Snow weather the line is only 5 hexes long.
All UnDispersed units -- from divisions to armies -- interdict enemy supply through hexes adjacent to them, unless those are occupied by enemy units.
- The die rolls of attacks by unsupplied units are reduced by 1. Attacks on unsupplied units are raised one combat odds column. The supply status is determined at the moment of the attack (or defense).
- Isolated units are those with supply lines over twice their required lengths. 1 unit
(of the owning player's choice) from each "group" of isolated units -- units that are able to trace a supply line at least to each other -- is lost during its owning player's
isolation determination phase.
- A German air unit may fly a resupply mission, unless it is intercepted. All isolated units within a supply line radius of 2 hexes of the "airdrop hex" are supplied for the rest of that gameturn.
If, during the Axis Victory Determination Phase, the Axis occupy both Stalingrad city hexes, in supply from the west edge of the board, the Axis Player wins.
In the 21Jul42 Game, the Russian player wins otherwise.
In the Russian 19Nov42 Counteroffensive Game or the Campaign Game, the Russian player wins in any turn after 12. wherein he occupies both Stalingrad hexes, in supply from his mapboard edge.
SETTING UP THE GAME TO BEGIN:
- German units' 21Jul42 starting positions:
D1 17. InfK, D2 8. MotInfK, E2 14. PzKps 24. PzDiv, F2 3. PG(Panzer Grenadier)Div 16.PzDiv, G2 6.Armee, 94.InfDiv, H2 305. InfDiv, J2 71. InfDiv, off-board both German Luftwaffe units/Fliegerkorps
- Russian units' 21Jul42 starting positions:
B2 63.A, C4 21.A, E6 65.A, F4 33. GdsRifleDiv, F5 1.TankKorps, G9(Stalingrad North) 16.TK 112.RD, H4 62.A, H5 13.TK, H9(Stalingrad South) 10.NKVD, I5 23.TK, K4 64.A, N2 3.GdsKavKorps, N3 51.A, off-board 8. Air Army
- Units do not begin the 21Jul42 game fortified. Any units the owning players wish do begin the 19Nov42 game fortified. The 110. Russian Penal Rifle Division should have been the 112. Gnash!
[13Sep03, revised 18Oct05]